Jonathan - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: community
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that our national motto, E Pluribus Unum has a deeper meaning for the vision of The United States of America than simply, from many states, one nation. “From many, one” speaks to the promise of who we can be, who we strive to be. The human race is diverse, and if all of humanity can live together in peace, our nation will achieve the society by which this is realized.

This belief has been with me throughout my life. It has shaped my outlook and my character. Looking back upon our history, I can see the thread of this promise woven through all of our sins, failures, conflicts, struggles, efforts, and triumphs. From many, one. It is a light that carries us forward in the face of dark trials. It is the joy in our celebrations. It is purpose. It is redemption.

From many, one. It is worthy of our sacrifice and our blood, and it is not just a promise to be fulfilled. We are achieving it. It is present in our day-to-day lives. I bear witness.

Within my neighborhood dwell people of varied hue. Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, Jews, Christians, Muslims, agnostics, and others live net door to one another. On any given day, you can hear as many as six languages being spoken, though English is the common tongue. We are neighborly. We greet each other, help each other, and respect one another. We have a neighborhood watch, belong to a larger community association, work together on civic and community projects, and break bread together. From many, one.

At the place where I work, and at the place before that, the organizations are comprised of individuals as varied and diverse as the world can offer. My colleagues include native born and naturalized citizens with racial and ethnic heritage from Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Americas. Also, there are people of mixed heritage. If there is a place on this world where these people may enjoy true fairness, justice, and opportunity, it must be here, in the USA. From many, one.

This, I believe.