Emma - USA

Sixteen was a big birthday and we usually act like sixteen year olds know everything. Come to think of it, I do not know enough about the people or the world around me. Just hitting the age of sixteen, I believe I have not experienced enough different things in my lifetime to know what types of things I believe in.

For the whole sixteen years, I have lived a sheltered life. Almost everyone I know lives the same way I do with the private education, dedicated families, and comfortable homes. I have never really had the chance to travel around the world, see new places, and different ways of living. Everything I know has been the same for my whole life.

These sixteen years have not been short, but at the same time, I have not experienced enough. I am only half way through high school, with junior and senior year to go. These two years are extremely important. I have not yet experienced the stress of SAT’s and applying to colleges. I have not experienced the joy of being accepted into college, followed by “the best four years of my life.” I have never lived on my own, away from my parents, had a job or had to support myself. I have not experienced love, or marriage, or the responsibility of my own family. I have not experienced growing up and being able to make my own choices, and decisions. To be honest, I have not really experienced growing up and maturing into an adult, at all.

With all of these uncompleted tasks in my life that I want to accomplish and experience, I still do not know what I want in my future. I do not know where I want to go to college, what I want to be, or even who I want to be…how could I possibly know what types of things I believe in?