Amanda - Tampa, Florida

Your mother knows where everything is.

She can find your lost shoe, toy, earring. It was amazing to me as a kid – a kind of mystical power or sixth sense that my mother had about where something lost could be found. I am not sure how this magical knowledge is bestowed – maybe like the Girl Scouts, earning a merit badge in motherhood. Because it was not just my mother but my friend’s mothers who had this ability.

My mother would unfailingly be able to tell me where my shoes were on mornings when I was panicked about my saddle oxford’s whereabouts because I was running late. “They are under your brother’s bed” or “Look in the downstairs linen closet, heaven knows why they’re there”. But, without a doubt, I would look, and there they’d be. It was like my mother stayed up all night secretly rearranging things so that she could direct you to them in the morning like a miracle worker.

And I have to tell you that now that I am a mother, I can find any lost train, car or husband’s shoe. This does not seem to apply to finding my own things (I routinely lose my keys), only the things of the people that I love.

Maybe that is the secret. That as mothers, that my mother, paid more attention to the details of my life than I did. So that she knew what I had lost before I even had a clue. I stand in the amazing grace of my mother and her vast knowledge of the whereabouts of all things. It is a true testament to the superpower of a mother’s love that without any fanfare, without any real acknowledgement of the superhero-ness of mothers, they love so much that no detail of daily life escapes them and they can use their x-ray vision to find the “anythings” of those they love.