Samantha - Culpeper, Virginia

This I believe, living on your own causes you to grow up and establish yourself as a person. When you move out on your own you take on the tasks of providing for yourself financially, physically, and in many other ways. The most important one I think is learning to budget your money, this helps you now through college, but also in the future when you establish a marriage and your own family. Though your parents may still help you with your finances, you have to learn to budget your money in a way that allows you to get the most, “bang for your buck.” When walking down the grocery store isle, do you really need that box of ice cream, or do you need to save that three dollars to buy yourself milk the following week? Through my experience of living on my own, I’ve realized that the foods that you enjoy most are the most expensive and that trying to eat healthy…is just as expensive. It’s frustrating to me that some of the most expensive foods are the fruits and vegetables that we need in our diet to keep a healthy nutritional diet now in moderation. Most of us find ourselves having to cut back on fun activities due to tour lack of funds, and need for food. You realize that maybe going to that eight dollar move isn’t such a good economical choice, when you realize how much groceries, or even just the cost of everyday living is. Through out my first year of college, I’ve learned how to budget my money, and spend most of it where it counts. Spending it on the healthy foods and on the items for everyday living I think are the best economical choices for me. I’ve learned to shop for bargains, and to look for coupons that can save me a little money here and there so that I can continue to get the best deal for the money I worked hard to save.