Katherine - Beavercreek, Ohio
Themes: illness, love, work

This I believe…I believe in the power of love! When I was a little girl my mother took me to a doctor…she had noticed that I never acted like the other kids! When she took me to this doctor she asked him “why does my daughter never act normal?” The doctor then stated that I was mentally challenged! He said I have Bipolar, R.A.D., A.D.H.D., and an anger management problem! Then the doctor said to my mom “your daughter will never be able to survive in society! She’ll never be able to go to school, dress herself, along with other tasks!” My mom got upset and started to cry! My mom then told the doctor “LOVE CONQUERS ALL!” then we walked out! So my mom worked long and hard to make me “normal” but what is normal? Everyone is different! I did get better after a while! I can now control my anger and I don’t get so attached to things!

Personally I think my mom did a grate job of making me “normal”! 3 years ago I was on the AB honor role and 2 years ago I was on the A honor role! That doctor that said I should be locked up and the key be thrown away was wrong! I can survive, I can make it! When I was old enough to understand what was going on, my mom would say we would send that doctor an invitation to my graduation in 2007! But I thought I couldn’t do it! I used to cry and call myself nasty names! But now that graduation is almost here I know I can do it! I can do anything I set my mind to!

My mom used to…and still tells me what my life was like before I was adopted, and my life was horrible! I am so glad I got adopted by a loving, caring family! When I see that doctor at graduation I will go up to him and say “Hay, you said I couldn’t make it, well…Love sure proved you wrong!” and I will just smile and walk away!

I have a lot of people to thank for helping in making me who I am today…including mom, dad, other family, friends, teachers, and other people I know! Love and determination can help anyone in any case! This is what I believe!