John - Plano, Texas

This I believe and this I don’t

I believe in the indominatable human spirit, my family and friends. I believe that the root of all evil is the desire for power over others; that violence always begets violence; that happiness is the greatest good; and that truth is ever elusive, but worthy of relentless pursuit.

I believe there’s no sweeter sound than children’s laughter and in rewarding good grades with icecream cones. I believe it’s up to us to find meaning and purpose in life; that we should work less, play more, and never stop learning; that justice is important but mercy, more so; and that the force that animates life deserves our most profound reverence.

I believe all of this and much more. But I no longer believe in a heaven or hell, or in ghosts, gods, and goblins. I now consider belief in the supernatural to be a harmful delusion that leads people away from the natural—away from reality—and down a path leading to unwarranted guilt and fear.

I believe that science inspires awe and evokes wonder that far surpasses any religion. And I believe that reason, coupled with compassion, provides our greatest hope for a saner, more humane world.