Veronica - ALbuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

How do you live life without making a mistake? You simply can’t. There are so many mistakes in my past I can’t sit here and explain them all, but there are those that are life changing.

As a toddler I would walk around and wonder what that plastic thing with three little holes in the wall was. “The grown ups would always put shinny silver stuff into the holes. Why do they get to play with it?” I would ask myself. I was always told to stay away. Days passed and I would see that these pronged holes were covered. Curiosity got the best of me and I was determined to know what lived inside the walls.

After lunch I secretly kept the fork I was eating with. As the grown up people left me to play I went to the holes and examined them. It looked like a smiley face containing two long eyes and a little round mouth down in the center. My fingers didn’t fit and it was too dark and couldn’t see into the wall. I did what anyone else would do and took out my fork. Yes, I stuck the fork into the holes. I felt ant and spider legs crawling through my arm. Then I saw this amazing blue light. I was so excited!! The sensation of crawling legs up my body was so strong. I heard a loud “pop!” I was so scared not knowing what would happen next, I screamed and cried out in desperation. Of course the grown people came running in and pulled my hand still holding the fork out of the socket. The ants and spiders eventually went away and I felt better.

I learned why the big people would always tell me to stay away from the holes. The wall held a magic power, a strong magic power.

Humans always crave for a reason to know “why?” We grow older and learn from our past and then comprehend the reasons we are the way we are. I believe we learn from our mistakes. Sometimes we are smart enough from making more mistakes because we aren’t interested enough to experience the danger ourselves.