Stacy - La Grange Park, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe in passion and being inspired by someone or something to do that passion.

My passion is basketball. It all started when I was 8 or 9. My Dad’s close friend had just got the head coaching job for St. Francis in Wheaton girls’ basketball team. My Dad took my brother and me to some games and right away I knew I loved basketball. The next year we went to some more games and the following year we attended almost all the games. Coach Jeff named us the true Super fans and that we were. Every year I had a favorite player, but there was one girl who was my all time favorite. As a sign of respect and admiration, of course, I modeled myself after her as I wore the same number as she did, number 11, and still do. Now I can not say she was the only one who inspired me, because the whole team is where I learned what true passion really meant. When I watched them play and win Regional, after regional I saw how basketball is supposed to be played. With passion, as a team, and with a great love of the sport. I really do believe that if I did not watch them play I would not have even started playing basketball with the passion that I did. I truly loved it before I even started playing thanks to those teams.

Now as a high school basketball player I am in their shoes. Now I have to play with passion and I believe I do. I know that I will always love basketball no matter how good or bad we may be or whether I am a starter or coming of the bench. I have been on both sides and my passion and love has always stayed the same. If my team is having a rough year or I am having a bad game, I want to go to practice the next day and work harder to get better. That, to me, is passion.

Whenever I play basketball or watch it, I feel right. It’s the thing I can do no matter what is going on in my life. It comforts me and gives me something to look forward to. It’s what I love to do and enjoy doing and I owe that to the St. Francis Spartans.