Kevin - Western springs, Illinois

I like sports. I am an athletic person and I like to play around and have fun. But, most of all, I like to win. There is no point in being an athlete, playing a game, running a race, and losing. I do whatever it takes to win because I feel good after I win. I was better than the other team, player, runner, whatever. I was better. But to win you have to give some effort, you have to give the max, all you got. If you are in a situation in which if you just tried, gave it a little more, you could win, would you? Hopefully everyone would say yes, which is why I believe you should always try your hardest, no matter what.

There was an instance last year during track which I tried my hardest and I didn’t even get the job done, but I still gave it my all. It was the LT Relays, our school’s biggest track meet. The race I was running in, the 4×400, is probably the most intense race in the meet. It is the last race of every meet and our whole team takes up a part of the track and cheers on all of their teammates. I was the anchor of our team, which is usually reserved for the best person, but in this case I happened to be the worst, so it just added more pressure. So all three of my teammates ran their quarter mile, all in great times, and they gave me a lead. I got the baton and was in first place, I was running a pretty solid race until the last straightaway when a person from another team gained a lot of momentum and just blew by me. He was flying. At this point I put myself into the next gear and just went off, running crazily as hard as I could. To the right I could see my friends in the stands, to the left I could see my teammates running to see me finish. I just couldn’t let them down, so I kept running as hard as I could. Even when the other guy finished in front of me, and I crossed the finish line behind him, I was proud of myself. I tried my hardest; I truly left everything on that track. I ended up beating my previous personal record by a full two seconds, which in a 400 m race is a lot. The guy who beat me would have had a sophomore school record at our school so I’m not that mad that he beat me. But what I learned was that winning wasn’t the most important thing, it was making sure that I did everything I could to win and not let everyone down, and most importantly I didn’t let myself down.