Marissa - Brookfield, Illinois

Nothing makes me happier than hearing my favorite song on the radio, or singing at the top of my lungs with my friends. Also, right after playing a song at a band concert, and having it sound really good is a great feeling. Anytime I am feeling sad, just listening to a song I like makes me feel better. I believe that music is happiness.

In 2003, my life started to change, and not for the better. Around the beginning of March, it all went downhill. That night I found out that my grandma was in the hospital with medical complications. My whole family rushed to the hospital, not knowing if she would live through the night. She lived through that night, and after every time my family and I would go see her, I would listen to music to cheer myself up. She started to get better, and things started to look up, until my other grandma fell at her assisted living home and broke her hip. After a few weeks in the hospital, she went back to the home, only to get progressively worse. Her state of mind diminished, and she was put in a nursing home, where she was fine for a while. Meanwhile, my other grandma got worse and worse until she died on May 20. The day I found out, I listened to my favorite songs the whole morning. At her funeral, I felt better by playing a song on my flute for her. The rest of the year was okay, until the beginning of November, when I found out my sister was in the hospital. She started to get better and came home in the middle of December. I survived that year by listening to music every chance I had.

I hoped that everything would improve in 2004, but things turned around again. My sister had to go back to the hospital in early January and my grandma’s health suffered again. The first half of the year was not that bad, until I started eighth grade in August. That year was my worst school year ever. I was sad a lot of the time and resorted to listening to my headphones the majority of the time to make me feel better. Basically the only fun I had at school was in the morning, during band, orchestra, and choir practice. No matter how upset I was in the morning, going to practice made the day seem so much better.

Those two years were the worst times of my life, but I got through them by listening to and playing music. I still use music today to make me feel better and to make everything seem okay. I believe that hearing a good song can brighten any day, and that music is happiness.