Karen - Elverson, Pennsylvania
Age Group: 65+

I’m walking to elementary school, up the steep hill behind my home, the hills of snow from frequent storms thick on the side of the road.. I’m wearing “woolen leggings” to cover my bare legs and boots to cover my feet. I hate them both because “ all the other girls in my class are wearing boots without leggings and they are just as warm”. My blond braids are doubled over with red bows tying them up, “ like Heidi”. I hate those braids because “ all the other girls in my class have their hair cut short and I’m the only one with braids”. I remember so many of other things about my childhood that seemed to make me standout and “be different”. I “hated” being different.

When I returned recently to attend my 50th high school reunion, I was amazed to find out how many school mates remembered me. They thought I was unique, funny, interesting, not at all different in a negative way.. Perhaps time and experience have a positive effect on our personal image.

It’s so difficult in our fast paced existence, to think of time as a friend, but I must try. This I believe.