Mario - Richmond, Virginia

I believe that what I or anyone else believes really doesn’t matter. If this sounds self-contradictory, let me explain. What I mean is that belief per se isn’t what’s important—it’s what or whom you believe in that makes all the difference. In other words, believing that the moon is made of green cheese, or that stepping on a crack might break your mother’s back are only problems because it’s not, and it won’t.

Conversely, washing my hands because I believe germs cause disease, or fastening my seatbelt because it may save my life in the event of an accident are only important because they do and it will.

I believe, therefore in an objective, indisputable order of reality that can at times be verified by scientific experimentation, but that in any case exists. What we describe and accept as natural laws simply describe God’s action in defining and upholding physical reality, and are beautiful in their regularity and consistency.

I came to this position—or rather it came to me—some 32 years ago through an instantaneous experience in which Jesus Christ saw fit to come into my life, that is into my person, conscious, spiritual and physical. Like all my friends and my parents’ friends, I had grown up a secular person. We didn’t go to church—we didn’t know anyone who did. But after searching for something to believe in, I was suddenly aware that what’s important isn’t the believing at all. It’s the who I believe in. Through God’s having taken up residence in my life and guiding and directing me since, I now realize the purpose for which I was made and for which I live in this world.

It is not so much that I believe this—many, nay billions have in the past, do now, and will in the future. It is that God, the creator, and hence arbiter and definer of reality, shows it to me and others in ways that are both independently- and self-authenticating. It is not really my believing it that is the point. It is that God, the self-consistent, uncreated rationale behind all reality, has made himself available in whom to believed.