Christy - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: work

My name is Christy Hull Eikhoff, and I believe in the present. It’s 11:15 p.m., and I just got out of the shower. I used to shower in the morning — daily — as most people do, but that was then, and this is the present. In the present, I have a husband, a 2-year old daughter, a 6-month old son and an 85-pound dog. I am a senior associate in a large law firm and will be up for partner later this year. Like many professional mothers, the comment I receive several times a week, if not everyday, is “I don’t know how you do it.” The answer, I have found, is the same approach that has brought me to this moment: Don’t borrow troubles from tomorrow; deal only with today. So instead of fretting about whether I should have tried to squeeze some work in over the weekend to boost my billable hours, or how I will be able to keep my 6-month old son from one day being addicted to video games, I have a singular focus on today. Indeed, had I been warned five years ago that my distant tomorrows would be consumed with a passionate balance of drafting appellate briefs for Fortune 100 clients and making handmade Valentine’s day cards for my kids’ (plural!) teachers, I would have been daunted, disbelieving, and discouraged. But centering all my energies to the here and now — endeavoring each day to handle what needs to be handled, to procrastinate on what can be delayed, and to absolutely devour the preciousness of my children’s “presentness,” — is all I need to do as my tomorrows unfold into todays. And who knows? Maybe one day I will be able to shower in the morning again and still get to work before 9:30 in the morning. But that day, is in the future, and for now, I’ve got to deal with, treasure, experience, love, and believe in the present.