James - Jesup, Iowa
Themes: community, family

This I believe

I believe that families do not have to be in the same house or have the same bloodline. Although, there are many families that are born and raised in the same house they may not be as close as I am to the people I consider family.

I was raised an only child so it was me and my parents. Both of my parents are my heroes. They made me the man that I am, both of them worked long hours so I could be the first college graduate in my family. With that said I have family that is as close to me as my parents that have nothing to do with genealogy.

I have a brother who grew up in the same neighborhood as I did. When my mom died his wife and him who had just driven 24 hours to get to Florida got back in their car and drove back to Iowa to be there for me.

I have a brother who is a 3rd cousin; he has been there for me his whole life for me because of an action by my mom and dad. He was penniless in Colorado and my mom and dad brought him back to Iowa paying for his food and lodging. Every since that time he has been there for me at all the important times of my life. When plumbing needs to be done in my home he helps me. When funeral arrangements needed to be made for my mom he helped me.

With this said I understand that family sometimes has its up’s and downs and that you can be disappointed at the drop of a hat if they feel like you let them down.

But true family, family of unquestionable love knows forgiveness, knows acceptance and realizes that is what love and trust is. I believe that families do not have to be in the same house or have the same bloodline.