Danielle - Fort Wayne, Indiana

I believe a good nurse cares. I don’t mean that she is caring in her treatments or bedside manner. I mean that she truly cares about the individual patient. She wants to see the patient not only get well but to have a better life once they leave her care. A good nurse can teach the patient something that may give them a better quality of life. She may be the one person is that patient’s life that actually smiled at them and cared how their day was going. As a nurse you have no idea what kind of life that patient lives outside of the hospital and you may be the one person that showed them that someone really cares about them. Whenever I walk into a patient’s room I make sure I touch their hand, look them in the eye and smile genuinely at them so they feel that I do care about them. You can have all of the knowledge in the world about nursing but if you don’t care about your patient’s total well being you aren’t hitting the mark. I believe a good nurse cares.