Conni - Kalamazoo, Michigan

This I believe…. I believe in playing. Playing with children and adults alike. I believe playing has allowed me to be the real me. To get to the essence of myself. Playing has created an opening in my heart that breaths life.

Playing is my job. I am a children’s therapist and playing is my game. Playing heals in a way that no other therapy could ever touch. Kids begin to trust when you play with them. Kids begin to speak the truth about their lives and their pain and their trauma. Kids begin to see possibilities, options and hope. Kids begin to solve problems and seek solutions, all the while feeling some sense of control over their lives. Kids move through their sadness with pretend and fantasy and come out of the drama armed with real life solutions. Then they can begin to heal and open up to emotions like joy and laughter, calm and hope.

Play is magic. It allows children and adults alike to leave their real life and to become briefly a super hero, a tennis ace, a card shark, a ballerina, a firefighter, an astronaut… The possibilities are endless. Play assists us all in pushing our bounderies. It enables us to take a risk, share a hearty laugh, learn a new word, movement or strategy. Through play we can see and hear and touch and taste and smell all of the ordinary and make it extraordinary.

I believe, that along with love, play can help the world to be a better place. A place where humor wins out over sarcasm, where taking turns teaches patience, where practice creates expertise, where smiles are contagious, where the passing of time is enriched with cooperation and memories of fun.

I belive we all deserve to play. I believe it is never to late to begin. I believe it is at all of our fingertips. One ,two, three, GO.