Kimberly - South Whitley, Indiana

I believe that nurses are the heart of healthcare. I remember when I was finishing my eighth grade year and I got really sick, my liver was starting to shut down and the doctors didn’t know why. I remember getting a phone call after one of my daily lab draws to see how my liver enzyme levels were, and the doctor saying that my mom needed to get me down to Riley’s Children Hospital right away because things were getting worse and they didn’t know what to do.

My family and I arrived at Riley’s all very scared and unsure of what was going to happen, I had to be placed in a private room because they didn’t know if I was contagious or not. Through all of the scariness though I remember the nurses the most, they were so kind and wonderful. They always were trying to figure out a way to make us laugh even though we were scared, always there to say a kind word of encouragement when we felt like there wasn’t any hope.

This is when I decided that I wanted to be a nurse; I wanted to be like the kind nurses who took care of me when I was sick. I wanted to be that someone special that helps you hold on when you just don’t know what to do. I wanted to take care of other people, make them laugh when they needed to laugh, give them words of encouragement when they had nothing else to hold on to, just to be that should to lean on when they feel like everything in the world is going wrong.