Celine - San Antonio, Texas

I believe being rich and famous are tired and over-rated aspirations. How many young people when asked, “What’s your dream?” would say, “I want to be influential.” What about inspirational or revolutionary? I think I’m pondering this belief now because I’m at a point in my life when I know the prospects for rich and famous are long odds.

I don’t really know for a fact what my mother dreamed of being. I doubt that she would have said, “beloved.” Yet, in fact, that is what happened. For 70 years she led a simple and humble life composed of the mundane: PTA, church, Girl Scout Troop Leader, Boy Scout Den Mother, volunteer to the sick and mentally disturbed. She was daughter, sister, aunt, mother, mother-in-law,grandmother, and wife. When she died more than a hundred people attended her funeral. Even now, ten years after her death, when I see her friends they tell me how much they miss her.

I suppose as a teen age girl, standing before the bedroom mirror, pretending to be a rock star my ambition was to be rich and famous too. But now I have decided that my true desire was to be adored. And you know what? I’m living my dream! I have a husband, a dog, five nieces, one nephew, family and a hand-full of friends who I am certain adore me. I believe I’ll take that over rich and famous any darn day.