Lauren - Bumpass, Virginia

Difference Maker.

I believe anyone can change a life. For better or worse, my actions can influence others and make an impact on their lives. According to Pericles,”What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.”I believe I have already changed someones life for the better.

Blonde hair, brown eyes, two feet seven inches tall and cute as a button: her name is Sierra. I spent a lot of time with her over the summer because her dad and my mom were building a house together. She was four and I was fifteen; we were best friends.

We painted our toenails red while spillig half the bottle on the floor, we drew tattoos on each other with Crayola washable markers, and we played mermaids in the pool for hours on end.

Then, in the fall, Sierra had to leave. She went back to Connectucut to stay with her mom. One day, her dad sent me an e-mail telling how I had made a difference in Sierra’s life. Every time when Sierra would call,the first words that would come out of her mouth were these questions: “Daddy is Lauren there? She is playing soccer isn’t she? Well, tell her I love her and I miss her. Okay daddy?” When he told me that it touched my heart. I realized that because of my actions, others were affected. “The be-all and end-all of life should not be to get rich, but to enrich the world.” B.C. Forbes. That starts by enriching one life at a time.

When I graduate from college I want to become an elementary school teacher. I remember my favorite teachers were Mr. Giardina and Mrs. Witkoski. They were nice, helpful, and they showed loving care to everyone in the class. I can still remember doing activities like playing around the world, making homemade applesauce, and demonstrating a volcanic eruption. I always wanted to go and see my teachers. They really cared about the students they were teaching.

I believe that I can show love and care to my students and make a difference in their lives. I want to be remembered as a favorite teacher. I want students to love coming to my classroom, knowing that I will care for them and will bring out the best in them. I believe I can change lives fo the better and that is my goal for the future. “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” Pericles.