Jason - Grand Saline, Texas

When I was a child I believed in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. In time, those beliefs were challenged and the truth was revealed. When I was a student I believed that my teachers, professors and instructors held the answers to all of my questions. As a learner I have come to the realization that often times knowledge comes through the question and not so much the answer. In my life as an adult I acquired a belief that no one was sincere. My experiences caused me to become jaded and cynical.

In 2003 while waiting for assistance after a minor car accident I was struck by a tractor-trailer rig and severely injured. In an instant my world and my perception of the people in it was changed. I realized that indeed there are sincere people in this world and that many of them are right in front of us. My family, friends and co-workers came to my side and gave me the support and encouragement I would need in facing the long months of rehab that were ahead. My cynicism slowly melted away and a new belief was born in me.

What do I believe? I believe that we humans are inherently good and decent. I believe that although we live in a troubled world there is still more good than bad. Most importantly I believe that within each of us lies a “divine spark” that makes us more like those around us than different from them. In short, I believe in humanity and in humanity’s capacity to care for and defend itself. I believe that people can and do take care of each other because I’ve seen it and I’ve experienced it.

As corny and naïve as it may sound, yes I do believe that given the opportunity people can still be compassionate and caring. Take away all of the cynicism and suspicion and you will find the TRUE human soul.