Bruce - Palm Beach, Florida
Age Group: 65+

I have always puzzled about where we come from, where we’re going and why we’re here. A couple of weeks ago, I heard on NPR someone call in to say that all he needed was a second home and a boat, and that all the essays in the “This I believe” series were nothing but the authors patting themselves on the back.

What I believe is that there are many valid paths through life, and that reader’s is certainly one of them. I assume he’s focused on the concrete realities of life, and is probably a wonderful mate, parent and provider, and maybe more – a statesman and philanthropist. But there are some of us who can’t seem to stop trying to figure it all out, and our small contributions in that direction are part of how we all improve the human race, as he does in his way.

I believe we are here by the combination of natural selection and accidents called evolution, and that the glory of life is embodied in what we do and think, and that our dust returns to dust. I believe that the world would be better off if those who believed otherwise would educate their children that some people derive their morality from the history of the human species, and that we must respect each others’ beliefs and love each other despite our differences on that subject, or we will continue to kill each other.