Elizabeth - Durango, Colorado

I believe that laughter is the best medicine. When you are sick, mad, or just depressed and having a really bad day, a good laugh will always help, even if it’s only a little bit. Sometimes you don’t realize how much it can help. But when you think about it later you realize how important a good laugh really is.

There are two different kinds of laughs. The first laugh is a simple little giggle. They’re always good, but don’t have as much healing power as laugh number two. Laugh number two is a real laugh; a laugh that makes you cry, makes your stomach hurt to the point of not being able to breath. By the time you finish a laugh like laugh number two, you probably have no idea what you are even laughing about anymore.

Last year I got sick. Not just like a cold sick, I mean sick. I was out of school for three months. I missed my friends. I even missed the crazy nun’s that yelled at us all the time. I tried to go back to school several times while I was still sick, and I was miserable. The only thing that helped was seeing my friends. They made me laugh. Laugh number two laugh. Whenever I was laughing with them my sickness seemed to go away, even though it was just for those ten or fifteen seconds we were cracking up.

When I couldn’t go to school, some of my friends would come and visit me. Seeing them, and just listening to them tell me stories about something silly that had happened earlier that week was amazing. They brought me flowers and candy. But one of the best things they brought me was cards they had made me. In them they wrote silly little poems and drew pictures. I still have every single card they gave me. Every time I need to be cheered up, even just a little bit, I look at those cards and laugh. My friends aren’t very good artists.

Eventually I got better. I think the more I laughed the better I got. I really do. Whenever I’m feeling down I call one of my friends who can always make me laugh. As soon as I start to laugh I feel better. What they say is true; laughter really is the best medicine.