Sarah - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: family, legacy

I believe that when your father leaves, no matter how old or young you are, your world is forever changed. That security blanket of masculinity is suddenly ripped from you. You are left standing in a cold and scary world; a world in which you expected to have a father. There are no longer any certanties or guaranties in life. And probably the worst part is that you start to cling unnaturally to the people in your life for fear of yet another void being left in your soul. This paralyzing fear of someone leaving only pushes them further away. And yet again you are left to experience the pain of loss.

Although I am old enough to know that these things happen, that fathers leave, that people make mistakes and life isn’t always how we planned, it does not make the experience or the impact any less severe. Yes, when fathers leave, there is something deep inside you that will never be the same. This I believe.