Aria - Seattle, Washington

Relections

There are times when I ride the bus and look out the window watching the houses, cars and people pass by. In the Roosevelt District, there is a stop where I can see two reflections of myself. One of the reflections is me in the window of the bus. The other reflection is written on a storefront that quotes the words of Eleanor Roosevelt when she said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

I agree with Eleanor Roosevelt’s statement because I believe the only person that can really hurt your feelings is you. If you think others are saying negative things about you, you will make yourself feel badly. It is up to you to decide your own self worth.

Everybody does self speak about how they feel about themselves and their relationships with other people. Self speak are the words we use when we talk to ourselves. Self speak can be a dangerous or a positive thing. It can make you feel as if you are walking on air or wading through mud.

There is a secret place in your mind. In that place you feel scared or worried about how people are going to act toward you. In that place, I worry other students are not speaking to me because I am in Special Ed. I am concerned that they will think of me as a little creepy, crawly insect on the floor beside their desk. I see in my mind’s eye one of them looking down, screaming and stepping on me. I continually remind myself that I must believe the only person that can really hurt your feelings is you.

For me, I must treat myself with respect, if I want respect. It is up to me to say “hello” to others and to do the best I can in school. It is up to me to act in a way so others will not to see me as an “insect,” but the funny, kind, and interesting person I am. I am a person who has dreams and goals like other people. I am somebody of great worth.

A person must always remember that he or she is special and unique. Self speak can make you feel positive or negative about yourself. It can make you feel like a mouse or a lion. I prefer to always be the lion instead of the mouse.