Bernadette - Escondido, California

This I believe. I believe I can make a difference.

As the office manager of a large middle school, I have found the job I was meant to have. As I started my career in the computer field, a school office was the last place I ever expected to end up, yet I have found it is where I belong. It is my job to make sure the teachers have what they need, including moral support, to be able to do the difficult, demanding, and rewarding job that is teaching. When I see a teacher’s face light up when I deliver something to their room that makes their difficult job easier, I know I have made a difference. To see the difference in their faces every day makes my day.

At first, I didn’t expect to make a difference with the students, as I don’t have much contact with them. At least I didn’t think I would! I saw a student in a striking shirt one day and I said “hey, nice shirt”. He shyly smiled and mumbled “thanks”, and I know I made a difference in his day, maybe even his life. There are so many kids who don’t have any positive reinforcement in their lives, and a few kind words are easy, especially knowing I can make a difference. Now I know a lot of kids and they know me. They know I’m there to help their teachers help them. I make a difference. I believe that I can make a difference, and I believe that anyone can, if they want to.