Christin - Kansas City, Missouri
Themes: setbacks

“Quitters never win and winners never quit!” This is the quote many wise people have told me in my life. I realized just how right they were when I started Irish Step Dance. I have been a dancer practically my whole life. When I first started dancing, it was difficult for me. It was new so I struggled. After some persistence and encouragement, I improved and started liking dance class more. Later, I began a different kind of dance, Irish Step Dance. It was similar to what I had learned in other classes, the steps weren’t the problem, my teacher was. As I soon realized, not all dance teachers are as easy going as the one I was fortunate enough to have at my other studio. I quickly learned that there was no messing around during Irish dance class. I was there to dance and dance is what I did. I thought my instructor was literally a taskmaster. After plenty of sweat, tears, and stress, I came to the conclusion that this teacher was a challenge for me. After this revelation, I decided to try harder, practice more, and even have a conversation with my dance teacher in order to overcome this challenge. When I went to dance practice that following week, I was ready to practice everything I had planned. After our conversation, I realized her bark was worse than her bite. She was strict in class to keep order and attention but outside of class she was a very sweet lady.

After taking that dance class, I have become a firm believer that everyone needs a good challenge once in awhile. Taking the easy way out on things doesn’t help us. It doesn’t make us any wiser or smarter or stronger or any better as a person. It is by facing these difficulties that make us who we are. If we go into a challenge with a bad attitude and bitterness, there will be a bad ending to that story. But if we face that challenge with a healthy and ambitious attitude, we will stick in there and get things done.

Struggles happen everyday in many forms. They can be as simple as getting up and arriving to school on time or the challenge of asking for help when the going gets tough. When we are faced with difficulties, we must take the right steps in order to conquer them. First thing is to realize the challenge. Secondly, decide to have a positive attitude when we face the challenge. Thirdly, we should plan how we are going to handle the challenge and finally, we must follow through with our plans in order to succeed. Once we have accomplished these steps and surpassed that difficulty, we are one step further in our lives, that much more experienced, that much more mature, and that much more wise. Challenges are the dance steps of our lives.