Whitley - Austin, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The world is beautiful. Music can be soothing. Sleep is refreshing. I believe in randomness. I think God created our world out of randomness. Why else would Australia exist with its weird creatures such as platypuses and dingoes? The grass is green; the sky is blue. Roses are red, but why are violets blue? I believe in randomness. Random thoughts and random ideas keep the world interesting. Random strands of ideas are the origins of scientific theories, classic literature, abstract paintings, and epic movies. Random punch lines make jokes funnier. Random bursts of laughter make life more enjoyable. Random personalities keep the world interesting. I believe in randomness.

Predictability makes the world dull. No one likes going to the movies and knowing exactly how the plot will end. No one likes jokes with predictable punch lines. Predictions in math and science are dull and tedious. Predictable teachers make the lessons boring. No one likes seeing pictures of landscapes all the time. No one likes constant repeats of television episodes. Predictable personalities tend to be dull.

I believe you should go out into the world and commit random acts of kindness. Random holidays such as “Tacky Day” and “Eat Cake Day” are fun. Carpe Diem, People! Do something random and live life to the fullest. I believe in randomness.