randy - buffalo grove, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in giving and taking chances…

You try to teach by example, open and honest. Hoping they’ll learn correctly and make a positive transition to adulthood on their own. Our daughter who we adopted from China at 10 months old, is about to turn nine. God really blessed us considering we were told my wife who has MS and is wheelchair bound could never be a competent parent.

Our daughter gets excellent marks in the classroom, is an accomplished violinist and has won numerous awards and recognition ranging from art to history to cooking. She has been on the radio, on television and in the newspapers, accolades which make her parents proud. Best of all it, doesn’t go to her head.

She taught us, that maybe having a prized child, we haven’t doing such a bad job of raising her. Since I’m working most of the time and playing caregiver the rest, it comes down to my wife, her mother, the one everyone said couldn’t do the job!