Andrew - Marietta, Georgia

Our Unseen Power

We’re all infected. We continue to fall subject to our own chronic illness every day. It’s not in the air; we can’t catch it by touch or any physical forms. I hate it, we all do. But sometimes we simply can’t prevent it and fall subject to its power.

I believe in the power of laughter to overcome anything else. Ancient philosophers once predicted that humor could heal and prevent the most fatal diseases. Clearly in our twenty-first century society, we have realized that such a feat is simply illogical. I wish such a simple resolution was plausible, but it’s not. One thing I am sure of, however, is that humor will never fail to repair our most common and complex human virus, negativity. Whether we’ve caught boredom, tiredness, anger, sadness, resentment, bitterness, anything. We all fail to recognize that something as simple as a good laugh is our only ever-available over-the-counter cure.

I believe humor is our universal medicine. I believe in the power of laughter to change moods, days, weeks, or lives. Negativity is not a part of someone’s nature, it’s their state of mind; their choice. Our sense of humor is our most complete trait.

I believe that God put me on this earth to make people laugh. I love it, almost as much as laughing myself. You simply can’t duplicate the sense of completeness you achieve following your succession of eliciting a laugh or at least a smile. I’ve embarrassed myself in front of friends or family, groups of people, entire classrooms in an attempt to entertain. Although seen to most as a failed attempt, I may have made one person laugh. I may have brightened someone’s mood, maybe even their day. I can’t ask for anything more than that. Humor is one of the few characteristics that we have in common. Everybody loves to laugh. Laughing heals us, revives us, relieves us for the few seconds we become lost in hilarity. Nothing feels more solid or real, nothing more perfect.

I believe negativity is worthless. I believe in the power of humor to overcome all else. I know that laughter can heal our deepest wounds.