Melissa - Marietta, Georgia

I play the flute in the marching band at school. We practice four to five times a week, the same nineteen girls of the flute section Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Week after week, those girls and I create bonds that can only exist between very close friends. Many things bond us together; the most important ones are our inside jokes. I believe that inside jokes create a bond that cannot be broken. I believe in Shakira.

Shakira was the flute section’s magic word. Whenever we heard “Shakira” we were all supposed to stand up straight. But that one word would send our entire section into a laughing fit, and soon it lost what little effectiveness that it had. However, the joke behind it remained. Our song became “Hips Don’t Lie” and our t-shirts read lyrics from it: “Don’t you see? This is perfection.” The word became a bonding point, something we could all relate to despite our differences. Other jokes soon followed Shakira, but they all had the same purpose: they made us closer.

Inside jokes can bring anyone closer. Typically, they start out as insignificant things or those “You-had-to-be-there” moments. No matter how small, they all grow to create common ground. Common ground is extremely difficult to find, but once it has been found, relationships will blossom.

Those moments create trust and support between everybody. Support is necessary for everyone to have, but sometimes it can be hard to get. For people to be truly supportive, they have to have some kind of bond, the closer the better. The camaraderie and the trust that develops is unbelievable, not to mention the fun and laughter that an inside joke creates.

Everyone has experienced an inside joke before. These jokes occur everywhere, on sports teams and in classes. They bring together families, friends, and of course, flute sections.

Now, after four band-packed, joke-filled months, I have 19 really close friends. These girls are my family. They support me in every way, and I know that I can trust them with anything. Thanks to inside jokes, my life is full of people who care about me, and whom I care about. As Shakira would say,” Don’t you see? This is perfection.”