Jordan - Knoxville, Tennessee

It seems that so often these days people underestimate the good in people. I will listen as someone tries to prove that nowadays people are mostly shallow, selfish, or just won’t take the time to remove the focus off themselves. But I believe in the good of people, and I believe it is all around us everyday.

It was just a week ago when my mom and I decided to head to the local Home Depot for a gallon of paint. What I thought was going to be a routine quick trip, turned into something much more than that. As we were walking through the store we came across a woman shopping alone. In an unexpected rapid movement the women was suddenly on the floor. Before I could even process what had happened my mom, myself, and eight other strangers were huddled in a circle all trying our best to help. These eight strangers just a split second before had been focused on what type of Christmas lights would be the most spectacular, and the exact color of paint that would best showcase their new furniture. These people could of easily decided on being a distant spectator, and just letting the guy next to them manage the situation. But without missing a beat, these people jumped into action to help someone who needed a hand. I took a step back as all the commotion reached a high, and I looked at these people who I had never seen or met. When I looked at them I saw the concern and the sheer compassion they had for this woman. It was at that moment that I realized that people do still care.

I have never lost hope in the goodness of people. I find it reassuring to see another unexpected deed unfold in front of me just to remind me that there will always be good amongst us. I think it is especially important as this Christmas season nears. I watched the other afternoon as families and even people who weren’t accompanied by anyone circle carefully around numerous Angel trees. The thing that surprised me the most was that these people weren’t just taking one card with a special child’s name on it ,but they were taking several. It is because of moments like these that I will always believe in the good of humankind. It is simply taking the time to notice it, and having the will to pass it on to the ones around you.