Phylicia - Blytheville, Arkansas

Be All You Can Be

Everyone wants to be great and successful in life. I believe that being all you can be is being motivated, and putting in a lot of hard work. Give some effort into what you’re doing.

In 2002, I entered my first year of high school. Everything was fine and dandy. But, I started hanging around the wrong crowd and started messing up terribly in school. Before that, I was making the grades of an honor roll student. When I began to do poorly in Advanced Physical Science, I had to tell my mother and I ended up getting pulled out of that class because I had a F for the semester. I was put in regular Physical Science and I passed with a B for the second semester. The downfall of that situation is that I ended up going to summer school for two weeks to make up that first semester. On the flipside, I didn’t have to repeat the class, and be in a class full of freshmen my sophomore year.

For the last three years of high school I was pushed really hard by my mother to succeed and graduate in the spring of 2006. When I began to slack off in my school work, my mother would get me back on track and in the right direction. I worked up to my potential doing anything and everything to make good grades and pass my classes required to graduate from high school.

My senior year, I worked really hard because that was the year that really counts. Within the 2005-2006 school year, I got stressed out because of the work load, all the drama that went on at my school daily, and I almost quit school because of it. If it wasn’t for my family motivating me to be successful, I wouldn’t be here at UCA trying to further my education, and get my Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.

My advice to everyone would be all you can be in life. You can do anything that you put your mind to. Never give up because you won’t get anywhere if you do.