cadi - Maryland
Themes: democracy

Democracy should spread

The issue or concept of democracy spreading is a very strange one. I often ask myself what it is and why it is so important for the United States to engage in promoting it worldwide. We are often told that it is one of our founding principles and that it is a fundamental part of the United State’s foreign policy. But in my view, our government often defines this concept when it is convenient and politically expedient. How can we say we are promoting democracy in one region of the world, but allow our so called strategies allies to flaunt it in another part? We reward less than democratic governments when it suits our needs. For example, our steadfast support of Palestine’s government and also that of Egypt and Saudi Arabia. We cannot say we are promoting democracy on one hand and then when the people votes, the government are less than friendly or less than subservient to Washington, we then brand them undemocratic such as, Palestine’s and Venezuela’s government.

I truly believe that we have to formulate a standard in our foreign policy that should be upheld at all cost, and apply to every one including all allies and enemies alike. I truly believe that we cannot expose our brand of democracy on people around the world in the name of globalization and fighting terrorism. I believe that the global security will come only when and after the true underlying issues that promote hatred and terrorism are genuinely addressed.

Democracy spreading can be a stabilizing and a very unfolding thing depending on where it is appropriate. Democracy I believe comes from within; when all people are truly free to engage in self-democratic and organization.