Whitney - Papillion, Nebraska
Themes: parenthood

Promises Should Always Be Kept

My dad works all the time and is almost never home. I never get to see him but he has always been a big part of my life. My freshmen year my dad made a promise to me that I will probably never forget.

Sports have always been a very big deal in my family. I have played volleyball and basketball almost my whole life. My family is very competitive and makes a big deal about who is better. My dad, trying to get me more involved with sports, made a promise to me my freshmen year that he would be sitting in the stands for my first Varsity game I played in, no matter what he had going on that day.

I was pretty excited about this because it gave me something to work for, and if it meant a lot to my dad then it meant a lot to me. My freshmen year my dad did not have to worry about his promise. I only made the JV volleyball team and the sophomore basketball team. I continued to work hard all year though even though my dad barely made it to any of my games. However, my sophomore year was a different story. I made the Varsity volleyball team.

I was so excited that my dad was actually going to see me play. All through warm-ups I kept looking into the stands searching for his face. The first whistle blew and he still had not shown up. I kept looking up to see if he had seen my first block or kill but he never showed up.

After the game I was so disappointed. My whole family was there except my dad the one person that really cared about sports and knew how big of a deal it was to me.

Promises no matter how small or unimportant they are should always be kept; a broken promise can destroy a relationship forever. It is almost impossible to forgive and forget something after a person breaks a promise. Trust is a hard thing to gain after it is gone.