Greggan - selma, North Carolina

I believe in a world where discrimination is a foreign word. Although it may be wishful thinking, I still believe there is good in people. I cannot help but to trust that all the evil in the world will one day be subsided by examples of good nature. I believe in a world where people begin to see others by the content of their character, instead of the color of their skin.

When I was a little girl my mother used to tell me that ones skin color should only be viewed as a sign of diversity rather than a means of power and separation. I never understood the depth behind the word “separation” until I witnessed one of my African-American friends being treated differently because of the variation of her skin color. At the time, I was so young and naive that I lacked the nerve to confront the woman who had acted out of prejudice towards my young playmate. I remember returning home and asking my mother why someone would treat my friend differently, and do so in such a hateful gesture. My mother simply replied, “Trust me, young darling, there is still some good in this world.” Although her response hardly answered my question, I had faith in my mothers words, and I am still holding out hope that what she said will showcase itself.

I have always felt embarrassed and ashamed in the fight to end discrimination. I have known for quite some time that there are many things I could control within my reach, but I have always felt that I would be viewed as an outsider by my own ethnicity if I tried to be the voice of a different ethnic group. However, I know my insecurities cannot be justified so easily. I, as a young educated female, have come to understand the depth and impact of discrimination, and I am working towards raising my voice to educate others on the impact this form of prejudice can have, while also allowing myself to be educated by the people and information I stumbled upon during my journey.