Jessica - Napoleon, Ohio

Learning Comes From Making Mistakes

Some of the most important lessons learned in life are learned as the result of making a mistake. If we all did things perfectly the first time, then what would be the point? We would never really learn anything at all. A lot of people are hindered from trying new or challenging things because they are afraid that they will make a mistake. With this attitude, a person could miss out on a lot in life and regret it. I have personal experience with this in my life but I have started to realize that everyone makes mistakes. I believe that by making mistakes I can learn from them and become a better person.

There are a lot of opportunities that I have missed out on because I was afraid of making a mistake. I have always been a bit timid and even the thought of making a fool out of myself in front of people is enough to scare me. I hate being embarrassed and usually when I make a mistake I get extremely embarrassed. Because of this fear of failure and embarrassment I used to miss out on a lot of different opportunities, like trying out for sports teams or auditioning for plays. Then I began to realize that in order to excel in these areas I would at least have to try them, and if I make a mistake, who cares? Everyone makes mistakes; that’s the only way people learn anything. After I figured this out I started to become more involved in different activities; I take more risks and worry less about making mistakes. If I do make a mistake, which happens often, I try to correct myself and learn from it. I also realize that no one is going to think I’m a bad person just because I made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes and people are too worried about their own mistakes to really worry about mine.

I believe that the only way to learn anything in life is through making mistakes. I used to be very afraid of failing or making mistakes; this made me miss out on a lot of new opportunities because I let my fear get in the way. No one is perfect; realizing this fact helped me get over my fear of making mistakes. Now I take more positive risks and am involved in more activities. I believe that by making mistakes I will learn from them and ultimately become a better person.