Michelle - La Vista, Nebraska

They say love is great. That it is kind. But I knew no love when I was a child. I had barely any friends, and instead, was the center of torture. As an Asian, I suffered from racism. It taught me hate, pain, and sorrow. It fed me these emotions every day. I thought my life would be a never-ending circle of loss. I thought that these emotions would conquer me. That was, until I reached my first year of junior high.

My first year of junior high was no different from any other grade. I was still made fun of, except now, the name callings were harsher. I also had to meet a girl in class. We had to learn about each other, and we found that we had much in common. After that day, Katie and I started hanging around each other, but I was still wary that something would happen.

One day, racism really took a toll on me. All the boys in my fifth hour class ganged up on me. They sneered and laughed. Then, a boy grabbed the remote control to an electric sign in the class. Furiously punching letters down, the laughing grew even more severe. It was obviously that I was a part of that message and I looked down. I also already knew what was said in that memo. But as always, I tried my best to ignore it. When the bell rang, however, I felt tears roll down my cheeks. I quickly ran to the nearest bathroom and locked myself in a stall. I let my tears roll for a while, let it fall onto my lap. I knew I had to be strong, but I had no strength. I had been staying strong for too long

Suddenly, I heard someone shout my name. I stopped my tears and listened. The person shouted my name again. Then, I heard a soft knock on my stall. She said my name again, but this time, I recognized the name. It was Katie. Surprised she was looking for me, I refused to open the door. I didn’t want her to see me like this, I despised looking weak. And I was sure she would leave if I took long enough.

When the lunch period was almost over, I cleared my throat and unlocked the stall. As I walked out, Katie gave me a hug. She told me how I had scared her and that it was alright now. At that time, I realized that I finally had a true friend. I couldn’t believe that she had missed her lunch just to comfort me…to be there. Hugging her back, more tears flowed from my eyes. I finally knew love.

My love was tested that day. I was sure my anger would get the best of me, had Katie not been there. She was the first friend that had shown love to me. Because of her, I changed for the better. I am no longer full of sorrow and hate. I believe in love. It saved me when I needed it most. It is always tested and always prevails in the end. Love may be blind to others, but it is never wrong.