Kevin - El paso, Texas

I was always told to give up but I don’t believe in giving up. While I was growing up, people would always tell me that I couldn’t do whatever I set my mind to because I was too small, too weak or not smart enough. I was never the brightest student in the class. I struggled in school through most of my life and I didn’t even care. One time I was walking home from school and I saw a custodian sweeping the side walk, he looked up and stopped, he asked me if I go to school. I ignored him for awhile and responded with yeah. He told me “never give up or you will end up like me.” He kept repeating the phrase over and over. I was kind of scared but he really got me thinking. From there he explained his life story to me about how he ended up like that and how he regrets giving up his dreams. After talking to the custodian I was scared that I would end up like him.