Maria - El Paso, Texas

Smile Every Day

Why should I smile every day? I believe in smiling every day because it reminds me that I don’t have an eternity to live, and I don’t want to spend the rest of my life frowning, or I don’t want to look back on my life and only remember sadness. Even in my sad days, I like to always have a smile on my face.

When I was 13 years old my father got fired from his job after 16 years of hard work. He was unemployed for 4 months. Finally he got a job, and I was very happy for him. Sadly, for him to have the job he had to fly to Virginia, and spend a year there for training. I got very sad, and it had an impact on me. My grades didn’t go down, but I was always sad, crying, serious and depressed. I smiled, but it was because I didn’t want to be asked if there was something wrong. One day I could not handle it anymore, and I cried a lot in school. It was in that moment that I realized that I could not be sad all the time because it was not healthy or helping anyone. I realized I had a family, friends, school, food, a house, I had everything I could ask for, and I knew that my dad had to stop traveling at some point. That he would come back, and be together again, so I said I have a lot of good reasons to smile, and less to frown.

Since that day I try to smile for everything that is good in my life. There are some days when I can’t help it, and you have to cry a little, and that is fine as long as it doesn’t take over my life. If I smile, I am showing the world that I am happy because I am. I don’t have a good enough reason to be sad all the time. I don’t want to be remembered by others as a sad girl; I want them to remember me as someone who was always happy and had a smile on her face.

I am a happy person; I don’t smile because I have to but because I want to. It is not hard to smile when I am with my friends, or when I am doing something that I really enjoy. There is a lot of things to be smile for; for instance a good grade, a great meal, etc.

I believe in smiling every day even if you get wrinkles. I believe that if I have to be sad, I will only be sad a reasonable time. I believe that I should embrace every moment of my life since I only get to live once. I will smile for what I have, and not frown for what I don’t have or for what I have lost. I believe there is no such thing as a really bad day unless I fail to smile.