Jessica - Sault Ste Marie, Michigan

The Importance of Friendship and Love

Friendship is something that everyone one wants and in time everyone gets. Friendship is important because you show love and compassion towards someone you care about. I didn’t realize how important that was until last May at graduation.

In my sophmore year of high school i had to start out in a place i wasn’t familier with. I started a new school. i didn’t have any friends but as the year went by I gained one of the best friends I could ever imagine. His name was Dan and he was a great friend. Every day he came in and gave me a great big hug and said no matter what i will always be there for you. That whole first semester was the best one I had ever had. Dan made my life fun, till one day he told me that he didn’t think life was worth living anymore. He told me that he felt like none of his friends actually cared and that none of them would care if he died. He was wrong.

That afternoon when school let out I made sure that Dan knew how much i cared about him and that I would be really sad if anything happend to him. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough. On Monday when I came back to school i was told that Dan had taken his life on Sunday night. He did leave me a note in my locker and this is what it said “I know you say you care but it wasn’t enough to say it just once. Friends need to tell each other that as often as possible and it was never said to me enough. Jess i am sorry but life is not worth living if you are not loved and no one cares. Goodbye.” Thats all he wrote to me. Not one of the best notes that i got but it was from Dan. He told me how he felt and the only thing i could do was cry.

Dan’s death made me realize that it is not only important to be friends with someone but it is so much more important to love them along with it. Maybe if Dan was told that everyone loved him this would never of happend but at my high school graduation I realized that life is to short. Now to this day I tell all my friends how i love them and how much they mean to me.

i believe everyone should know how important friendship is but even better how importnat it is to love your friends.