Michael - Yankton, South Dakota

I believe in the personal conversation. I believe that computers have made us very impersonal. I also believe that there are many people out there that are addicted to communicating on the internet. I can talk about this problem because I am also addicted to the internet. Hi! I’m mike, and I’m addicted to the internet. (This is the part where all of you, in unison, jump in and say, “Hi Mike!”) There, I said it. I have a problem and I know it. It is something I am working on but it’s still very relevant. Whether it is me talking to Jim, who lives in the dorm room right next to me on msn, or that text message I sent to that one girl that sits two seats away from me in math class, regardless of the fact that I don’t think I’ve ever really talked to her. I might as well write that famous note from grade school which states “Do you like me? Check yes or no.” Maybe I do it because I’m proud that people are impressed that I can text a whole paragraph, blindfolded, with one hand. Or maybe because I can explain a whole phrase in three letters, lol. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of times when messaging is necessary. Like that time you instant message that person you told you were “totally for sure gonna hang out with this weekend” but really didn’t want to. That message goes like this, “Hey man, sorry about last weekend, I got caught up, I guess my dog ate my sister? I had to make a trip home. We’ll hang out next weekend.”

I say I believe in the personal conversation, still I chat like there is no tomorrow. Like I said I am working on it. This essay is my inspiration to be more personal. I hope this essay is an inspiration to everyone. Next time you sit at your computer to tell your neighbor hey, maybe you should walk to their door instead. I believe in the personal conversation, and that the internet, although it is a very good thing, makes us impersonal.