Lane - Centennial, Colorado

I am just your average kid. I go to school, I do a sport, I live my life. Throughout this basic existence I can say there is one thing I definitely have learned; laughter really is the best medicine.

I do gymnastics. I know what it’s like to fall flat on your face and get back up. I know what it feels like to have half your friends ask you if you’re ok. I also know what it feels like to have half your friends laugh hysterically at your misfortune, and honestly I prefer the second. For some reason, when I fall or something upsets me the last thing I think of doing is crying. Then usually someone rushes up and says something along the lines of, “Oh my gosh, are you ok?!” By that time I’m usually fine or just about there. I guess when they ask if I’m ok it brings back what happened. Then it all comes out-in public. I really wish people would just give me some time to sort things out on my own. When they laugh at me, I don’t get all worked up and it just seems funny instead of painful or embarrassing. It makes me feel at ease to know that what I did, however ridiculous or embarrassing or painful, provided other people with some momentary enjoyment and it allows me to laugh at myself. When I laugh, everything just feels better.

Laughter helps more than just pain though. Pretty much every situation I’ve been in that has been a little tense or awkward has been broken by a witty comment made by one member of the conversation. I’ve also been subject to many a lecture that has ended on a good note only because of a joke that was made and the shared laughter that ensued. I know that laughter makes every situation in my life better, but I see it in the world too. I live in a country that loves to make fun of everyone from celebrities to the president. My country has the ability to laugh at itself. If it didn’t, I don’t know where it would be but I doubt that people would love it as much as they do. I know I love my country for a lot of reasons and the laughter just pulls all of them together. Laughter has the amazing ability to unite people who agree on nothing at all by one funny comment or joke.

I would say that I believe that laughter has the ability to fix anything, at least momentarily. I believe that laughter can fix hurt, distract, and heal dissent. I believe that laughter truly is the best medicine and that the entire world survives because of it.