Sarah - Littleton, Colorado

“This I Believe”

How many times have your doubts affected your decisions? How often do you wonder what would have happened if you had persevered? All throughout my life I have given up on things because of my cowardice or unconfidence. Ballet class, I just wasn’t good enough, so I quit. Gymnastics, I didn’t win a medal in a meet, so I stopped going. Art lessons, I was afraid that I wasn’t as good as the other kids, so I gave up. My insecurity stopped me from advancing into so many different activities. It held me back as a child, and still does as a teenager. That is why I believe that people should not give up on something because of their doubts of achieving. If you let self-doubts control what you do, then you might miss out on some of the best things in life.

So how would I have been different if I had continued with gymnastics, ballet, or art? Would I have become a professional gymnast, a famous artist, or a pristine ballet performer? I will never know the answer. However, for all the times I have chosen to let opportunity pass me by, I have also decided to not give up.

I have been going to South Suburban Recreation Center for pottery classes every Thursday for the past 4 years. Pottery is my getaway from the world. It is the best feeling to know that I do something I love, and am good at it. It was not always like that. There were times when I wanted to give up because I “had to throw away another piece of clay because I couldn’t make something.” Still, I kept on with it. Eventually, I grew to love pottery so much that even when I had to throw a piece away, I didn’t feel insecure anymore. I am so thankful that I decided to continue on with pottery, even when my doubts told me to quit.

Color Guard, like pottery, is also a very important aspect of my life. I look forward to Color Guard every day, and can’t wait to learn something new at practice. Still, there were hard times. My mom is the one who really encouraged me to try out for it. I wasn’t so crazy about the idea. What if no one liked me, what if I didn’t fit in? These thoughts crowded my head, making me draw away from the chance. Even so, I went to try outs. When I made the team I was not sure what would happen, but after only a few weeks, I found myself warming to the girls on the team, and the work. Soon I found that Guard had become a huge part of my daily life. I can’t imagine what would have happened if I had decided to quit.

So don’t let your negative thoughts affect you. Take a chance; it could lead you to interests you enjoy, or great places in life. This is what I believe.