Andrew - Dallas, Texas

As a young child I always saw shows on T.V. and my friends’ parents, as well as my own, complaining about their jobs. I never understood why they just didn’t do what they loved to do. The saying, “Time flies when you’re having fun” should be true even when you are at work.

When I was a kid, just like any other person, there were a variety of things I wanted to be when I grew up: a fireman, a police officer, an astronaut… but as I started to get older I understood that those were just the thoughts of a young boy using his imagination. I began to narrow my dreams into what seemed to me, more reasonable goals when I grew up.

My mom and dad always told me that if I do something that I like, then I would find a way to make a living out of it. This surprised me to think that maybe that old saying would be able to come true out of working. As I started to enter the Elementary years, I forgot about growing up and having a job and place in society. I just lived my life day-to-day and didn’t worry about world issues, taxes, or even what would be for dinner. At about seventh grade it hit me that I needed to start growing up and again when I entered ninth grade.

Filling out what courses I wanted to take really got me thinking about what I wanted to be when I got older to start planning out my life now. Isn’t it weird to think that I have to plan out my life like a person programming a computer or a game? So I started to think, what do I really want to do with my life? I sat on this question for at least a week until I saw a documentary about surgeons. Man did they have the life; helping people all the time and just doing something that they loved. I wondered no longer.

I planned out my courses to suit my dream: to become a cardiovascular surgeon. The heart always fascinated me because it is sort of the center of the body and runs everything. And I would even be able to help people at the same time.

In my medical science class, I learned that while doing the thing I loved, I could also make a decent living out of it. But lets face it, most people when they asked me what I wanted to do just said that it was because of the money or tried to put me down, but that is my dream and I’m sticking to it.

So, as I believe, as long as I do what I will love to do, nobody or anything can take that away from me or stand in my way.