Diego - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: children

I believe that in Thirty years, it won’t matter what clothes you wore, what your hair looked like, or what your next weekend plans were, but rather the knowledge you gained and how you applied it. Many people today may not realize this, and even if they do, they may not really take it seriously being that they’re too consumed in the day at hand and not so much the future ahead. And among those people, you would find me, an average teenager that is primarily interested in fun. I dislike admitting such a flaw, and I know I need to get serious, but as the old saying goes: “Easier said than done…”

I got good grades in elementary and middle school, always scared to go anywhere below a “B” and therefore rode through those years of my life without much struggle academically. At fourteen I was a freshman in high school, and I was introduced to a lot more people than I expected from many different backgrounds. And here is where many newcomers to reality are tested; can they handle all the new distractions and still be able to keep up with the academic portion of high school? I’m afraid I didn’t do as well as I hoped to, and it’s caught up to me.

I believe that the high school years are the most important years of your life, because they set the foundation for your future, and you need to do the best you can, because there’s no going back once you mess up. And I didn’t necessarily mess up, but I did not apply myself as fully as I hoped. And I know I’m not alone in this, because many people I associated myself with in middle and elementary schools were just as good of students as I am, and some of them are in the same position I am.

And I think virtually all of the teenagers in this world go through this, except for an exceptionally elite group that is not distracted by such occurrences. It doesn’t matter whether they come from China or America or Europe, peer pressure and increasingly difficult work to prepare you for reality will always be present. They have been, are, and will be a heavy-set burden on any one new to the look-alike model of reality, Also Known As High School.