Anthony - Albuquerque, New Mexico

I believe that sometimes you need to make sacrifices for the ones you love, even though it may not be the best thing for you. I believe that making others happy makes you happy in turn.

I’ve never befriended people who only look out for themselves. I’ve noticed that that kind of thinking gets you ahead fast but soon you fall behind. When you look out for no one but yourself you start to lose the people around you, and after a couple of years of using people, you’ll find yourself alone. Without friends you can only be happy for a short time.

I have seen many people lead their lives this way, and I started along this path as well. Right off the bat people started to avoid me. They saw that I was only trying to help myself. I quickly changed my ways. I realized that it pays to help out a friend in class instead of being the first to finish your work. It’s the same way for everything. At home, it’s good to help your dad fix something instead of watching T.V. or you can go to the store for your mom whenever she may need you to. Even with your girlfriend, it’s good to do what she wants to do 90% of the time, because during the 10 % of the time when you’re doing what you want to do, you have more fun doing it because you’re with the one you love.

One time, my dad was out in the backyard, cleaning. I was planning on going to go see my girlfriend, but when I saw him outside by himself, I changed my plans and went outside to help him. We pulled weeds, raked leaves , and cleaned out the garage. It took longer than I had expected. In the end I was frustrated because I wasn’t going to be able to see my girlfriend. The next day ,my parents let me hang at my girlfriend’s house longer than usual, I saw this as a reward for giving up my time.

I’ve learned that sacrifices-big or small- and doing what isn’t in your own best interest can pay off for you in the end. You may not be entirely happy when you’re doing it, but you will almost certainly be thoroughly pleased with yourself in the end.