Megan - Cincinnati, Ohio

There was a story I heard once. It was about the choice to be happy and to live. It said happiness didn’t happen as a reaction, but occurred after one made the choice for it to. The story is about a man that always chose to be happy. He was well-liked, but most of all, he was happy. Then one day he was hit by a car and almost killed. He remembered being in the hospital thinking to himself that he didn’t want to die. The doctors believed him to be a lost cause but he pulled through. When people would ask how, he simply said he chose to live.

This story means a lot to me. Growing up, I haven’t always been happy. I am constantly under a lot of pressure to keep my grades and my behavior up. I have also had a lot of bad days where I break down or blow up. My family sometimes thinks that I am never happy. When this occurs, my mom always reminds me that I can choose to be happy. Some days, this is harder than others, but it is never an impossible feat. The choice is always there, no matter what the circumstance.

My life now has a brighter outlook than it had before I read the story. Now I try to apply this lesson to my life and choose happiness over boredom, anger, sadness, or nervousness. So far, the technique has worked well for me. I feel better about myself and I am able to be more outgoing toward people. Everyone wants to be happy, and being around those that are causes the emotion to spread. I broadened my horizons and made more friends after I chose to be happy. It is a choice I’ll never regret making.

Every morning when I wake up, I think about my day ahead. I try every day to live my life with a positive outlook. If I fail at something, I look at what I may have learned from the experience. I go to school and make the most of my world around me. It’s easier to be happy than it may seem. Happiness can be passed through a simple smile or a wave. It is all in my choice of how I choose to be. And right now, I choose to live and be happy with myself and my life.