Anna - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe you should try to see yourself as yourself, to take all of your flaws and love yourself just the way you are. Too many people look in the mirror and only see things that they want to fix, features that are wrong, then obsessing over them. They can’t see the true beauty of themselves.

I have a problem with self-esteem. With every girl I meet, I constantly compare myself to her. I can only see things that I want to fix in myself. I wonder why people would like me, I worry that people who I think are my friends are nice to my face and then talk about me behind my back. Whenever someone laughs near me, I secretly wonder if they are laughing at me.

The normal person wouldn’t go up to somebody else on the street and say, “You’re fat, you’re ugly, you can’t do anything right.” So why do we do that to ourselves? People criticize themselves much more harshly than anyone else does; we believe that people notice our tiniest flaws. When you think like this, you can’t relax, you can’t rest, and you’re constantly worrying what the person next to you thinks.

There is no better feeling in the world that when you love yourself, when every once in a great while, we feel good about ourselves. It’s an incredible emotion, where you’re brimming with happiness. Why does it seem that whenever we’re unhappy is when we’re beating ourselves down?

So love yourself. Don’t worry if you’re ten pounds overweight and instead of being critical of your nose, be glad you have one. When you’re worried that you’re not tan enough, instead of burning your skin at the tanning beds, just remember that probably no one but you will notice how dark you are. Go ahead and eat that chocolate ice cream; it won’t kill you.