Joshua - Cincinnati, Ohio

The Value of Friendship

Imagine yourself, the first day of school, you walk in the door and see what seems to be hundreds of faces staring back at you, not one recognizable. It’s a bad feeling, not knowing anyone, isn’t it? How about the first day at summer camp, you know nobody, but as the week goes on you begin to become friends with more and more people. It makes everyday life bearable.

I have been lucky in my life, I was born with a twin brother who has always been there doing the same things as I. We didn’t have to experience such fear and loneliness alone. We always have each other around to talk to.

You see, it’s not really about going to camp, it’s about the experiences and the memories that it leaves behind, it’s about making friends. Being a friend doesn’t necessarily mean always being around someone, it could be something as simple as helping someone out every once and a while, or talking to them when they need somebody to talk to. Everyone needs someone to talk to, at a point in there life when they are going through a tough time.

A friend is someone who is there for someone when they truly need it, much like when my mother was at the hospital for my great great aunt before she passed away. At this point in her life, when she needed someone there the most, my mother, and other family members were there for her as true friends would be.

The value of friendship is far greater than any money value. I know personally that without friends, I would not be able to go on every day in life and enjoy myself. It is almost a necessity, to have friends, we could not have society without it, and nobody would be able to work together. Whether it be as important as all of society being able to work together peacefully, or as minuscule as a young boy at summer camp meeting a new friend to ease the loneliness, friendship is the most valuable thing in life.