Mickie - Beavercreek, Ohio

I believe one major surgery; one word of bad news can change a person’s life forever. It changed mine and I haven’t been the same since. I was in sixth grade and I was getting sick a lot. I went to urgent care to see what was going on, they then took x-rays and found that my spine was curved and pushing on my right lunge, causing my to get pneumonia. I was told that my spine was curved when I was in third grade but the doctor told us not to worry about it and go on.

They said they would contact my family doctor and she can deal with it further. I think it was like the next day she called and said we need to see her as soon as possible. So when we got to her office she said she was going to refer me to a specialist. His name was Dr. Crawford.

Three weeks later was my appointment with him. I was so nervous on what he would say since I had no clue what scoliosis was. He kindly explained what was wrong and what needed to be done. Scoliosis is an abnormal lateral curvature of the spine. He finally said that I would need surgery to straighten it up. This also consisted of putting two titanium rods on each side of my spine.

Then he asked the worst thing he could have asked throughout the entire appointment, if I played any sports. At the time I had been playing basketball for 2 years and planned on playing again. Dr. Crawford said that if I did than that can pop a rod and I could either die or be paralyzed for life. I didn’t know what to think. I loved basketball and didn’t want to give it up. We scheduled the surgery for February 13, 2003. He did say I was aloud to play up to the surgery. I told my coach what was going on and I played my entire last game. I was so upset to leave the team I had been on for three years now.

From then on I have been looking at life the way everyone should. Live life no matter what happens. I look at life with a better view do as you want no matter what anyone thinks. If people don’t like you for who you are then they are just jealous because you have fun. Ever since then I have been having fun with it. That is why I love life and I sill look back at it and wonder why I didn’t think that before, but I am still young and can live it as I please. This I believe.